Sunday, November 7, 2010

Power of Passive Income

A lot of people, including my parents, have a hard time understanding why someone would want to work without knowing exactly how much they are going to be paid. Whenever I tell my parents that I'm writing an article, they ask me how much I'm going to get for it. I always tell them that I don't know and that I hope it's a lot. They look at me like I'm crazy. Passive income is a powerful thing that most people don't understand. If everyone knew what you could do with a passive income, everyone would be doing it.

I'm assuming most people reading this blog know what passive income is and what it can do but if you don't, here's what it's all about. For example, let's compare two articles. One article is a guaranteed $20 and another article is revenue share. Let's assume you make $2 a month from that article. After a year, you will have $20 for the guaranteed article but you will have $24 for the revenue share article. In two years, you'll still have $20 for the guaranteed article but you'll have $48 for the revenue share article. In five years, you'll probably have spent the $20 for the guaranteed article, however, you'll still be making money on the revenue shared article which will be at  $120. So what would you choose to do? Write an article for $20 or for $120. Remember that the revenue share article will still be earning past the $120.

Most people on Info Barrel have concluded that it takes 150 articles to earn $100 a month. I've seen a few people with 250 articles and they seem to make around $300-350 or more per month. They will make this amount for the rest of their lives. It's like the Publisher's Clearing House prize of $5,000 a month for the rest of your life. If you write enough articles, you could easily earn that much money. I am plan on making $5,000 a month off my articles within 3-5 years. I will diversify with a thousand articles on Info Barrel, a thousand articles on Hub Pages, a couple hundred on List My Five and a couple hundred between the rest of the revenue sites. With $5,000 a month, I can retire (or at least not have to work if I don't want to) and actually start living my life. Who knows how much I could actually make - far more than $5,000 a month is possible. I'm motivated by the thought of being able to do whatever I want without having to worry about money.